Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Little Cheshire cat

I've been wondering lately just how much Michael understands of what we say. I was sitting on the sofa this evening and Michael was playing on the floor. I called him over to me and he obligingly dropped his little toy and meandered over. I praised him and then asked him where Dada was. He looked over at Phil. I asked again and he did the same thing. I then asked him to go to Dada and after a moments pause he cruised along the sofa and then crawled over to Phil. It may have been a fluke but we were extremely impressed. Now if only we can get him to obey the word 'no' ;o) I wish... I've been trying to teach him the concept of give and take with his shape sorter blocks. At first, he would hang on to the block as if his life depended on it when I asked him to give Mama the block. Now he flings it onto the floor. I guess that can be considered progress...

We were supposed to be taking Michael to a playgroup in Amsterdam last Sunday but Phil caught a cold and we didn't want to pass it around the other parents and babies. It was a great pity because we were looking forward to going. I'm crossing my fingers that Michael and I won't catch it and that we can go on Sunday. Phil hurt his back the previous week and if he is really unlucky then the poor guy will get his third dose of bad luck and fall down a manhole or something. He'll do anything to get out of getting Michael ready for bed ;o)

Michael has a new smile. The day before yesterday he turned to me, screwed up his eyes and showed me a big, toothy grin. It is both adorable and hysterical. I was wondering where on earth he picked it up, because it didn't seem all that natural a smile, when I noticed Phil smiling this smile at Michael this morning. If he has started copying Phil then ketchup sandwiches and stealing all the cheese are soon to follow. I'll have to padlock the fridge.

No comments: