Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Not the giant slipper!!!

With parenthood comes maturity...

This morning at breakfast time I received unquestionable proof that I have finally grown up. I had purchased a selection of serving-sized cereals and was preparing a bowl of cocoa shreddies. I tipped the cereal into the bowl then added the milk - next comes the sugar - but wait!! Since this cereal has cocoa powder in it, it doesn't really need sugar, does it? For the first time in my life I didn't add sugar to my cereal. I hope that this turn of events doesn't lead to more disturbing decisions and purchases. I am not ready to buy one of those giant slippers that fits both feet in yet!

Michael hosted his first webcast last week. Being an expat has a lot of advantages - experiencing other cultures is very enriching and I now feel far more of a European than a Brit. The main disadvantage is being far from family and childhood friends. My family are feeling this distance particularly acutely since Michael's birth. Realistically, we may not be able to visit each other more than three or four times a year and Michael will be virtually unrecognisable on those visits. The solution is simple - Skype, a microphone and a webcam. Now my parents can see Michael whenever they wish and feel like more a part of his life. They are serious technophobes and rarely feel that computers and the internet are worth the hassle so something like this convinces them that it does have it's uses.

2 comments:

Stephan said...

But cocoa powder is bitter, not sweet!

It's the same for me. My parents really feel the distance now. Which reminds me, I have to find our web cam.

Unknown said...

Hmm... good point, Mr. Picky ;o)
There is a lot of sugar in the ingredients so I'll stay dull and mature and skip adding more sugar.

Be warned about the webcam - the minute you start the webcast, Maya will start crying or wet her nappy. Babies have a very mischievous sense of humour!