Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Breastfeeding

Since breast milk is Michael's only source of food right now, I think it deserves a mention. Michael and I are now at the stage where breastfeeding is a pleasant experience for both of us - it certainly wasn't the case in the beginning. I had an overabundant milk supply and a fast letdown and poor Michael would practically drown in milk when latching on. Couple this with a greedy little baby who sucks furiously and wants everything RIGHT NOW and there was quite a challenge. As Michael grew, he was more able to cope with the flow and the constant windmill arms and popping on and off the breast finally stopped. I have been very fortunate to have excellent support in the shape of the Borstvoedingscentrum Amsterdam. They have been able to counteract the sometimes misguided advice of the baby clinic (who are constantly trying to get me to feed on a schedule rather than feed on demand - my baby is hungry when he decides he is and not when the clock does).

I am surprised at how my opinion of extended breastfeeding has changed. Before breastfeeding I thought, like most people around me it seems, that extended breastfeeding was abnormal. Now I look at Michael and think - how can it be perfectly acceptable to breastfeed you at 6 months but verging on disgusting to offer you the breast at 18 months?!? The downside to breastfeeding is that I spend altogether too much time on the sofa watching daytime TV. A lady who breastfed her daughter for 7 years featured on a talk show this morning. By this I mean that the child was, of course, eating solid food but occasionally having breast milk in the evenings or for comfort. The lady was exceptionally eloquent but got some pretty horrible remarks such as "disgusting" and "you are only doing this so you will have large breasts, aren't you?". Western society has sexualised breasts to the extent that breastfeeding past the age of 1 now has to be done behind closed doors.

I intend to wean Michael gradually and stop breastfeeding him when he outgrows the need - not when society tells me to.

No comments: