Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Rotten day

Michael woke for a feed at the crack of dawn today and I noticed at the end of the feed that I had a plugged milk duct in my right breast. I've had this three or four times before, always in the same breast, and use a combination of hot compresses, frequent feeding, massage, and careful positioning of Michael during a feed to ensure that the blockage is cleared within a few hours.

Today I have had no success at all as Michael is unwilling to feed. I have done all of the above and I still have a painful lump that feels rather like a small saucer lodged in my breast. Michael has cut a new top tooth in the last day and in addition is going through a very fussy phase with his feeding. It often happens to babies between eight and ten months old. They get so incredibly distracted by ANYTHING that it is almost impossible to keep them still for long enough to get a decent amount of milk into them. Michael will feed well at night, before bedtime, and first thing in the morning but for the rest of the day he constantly wants to be off crawling and playing.

I'd just like to say - AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

I'm terrified that if I can't get the lump cleared I'll end up with mastitis. I really don't need that right now. The irony is that he has been crawling around today with a T-shirt on that says "Milk Built This Body". I dressed him in it without thinking this morning. Milk may have built his body but it has almost crippled mine!

I had a look at my La Leche League book and it advises spending the remainder of the day in bed with the baby and feeding as frequently as possible. How exactly is that supposed to work with a busy little eight month old, then? Hmm? I don't think they thought that piece of advice through. The book also suggests that I should feed Michael frequently throughout the night. I need a night like that like I need a hole in the head.

I seriously hope that tomorrow is a better day!

No comments: