Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Do recruiters have souls?

Possibly an odd title for a baby blog entry but today the worlds of a recruiter, baby Michael, and a set of weighing scales collided, leaving me pondering this question. This afternoon, Michael was being weighed and toppled off the scales. Fortunately he was completely unhurt, although a little distressed and perturbed (paranoid Mummy took him along to the doctor just to check him out). At the moment this happened, Phil was called by a recruiter. The recruiter would have heard something like this...

THUD
Michael: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
Phil: SH*T!
Catherine (note of rising panic): What happened? MICHAEL?!?

Phil immediately hung up the phone. I ran to pick up Michael to soothe him, and the recruiter rang back. Phil shouted down the phone "NOW IS NOT A GOOD TIME!" and hung up again. Whilst we were on the way to the doctor's office, the recruiter rang for a third time and Phil let the call go through to voicemail. The recruiter left the following message:


Philip, hi, it's **** **** from ****. I'm not too sure what happened there
but the... er... phone went dead twice so I just thought I'd try you again...
erm... If you could please give me a call back... erm... I do have a specific
opportunity that I would like to discuss with you.


Eh? The phone went dead? Phil essentially told him to b*gger off and he somehow missed that?!? Since he will undoubtedly call back, I am tempted to answer the phone just to determine if he does have a soul. I imagine the conversation would go something like this:

Recruiter: Hi, this is **** **** from ****. Can I speak to Philip, please?
Me: I'm afraid that he spontaneously combusted whilst on the phone to you, yesterday. All I have left to bury is his left testicle and slightly smoking socks.
Recruiter (slightly subdued): Erm... I'm sorry to hear that...
Recruiter (brightening slightly): If you know of anyone... erm... who would be interested in a system administration position then please don't hesitate to pass on my details.
Me: I'll do that... yeah...

No comments: