Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Squished baby

I was woken in the early hours of this morning by Michael's cries. He frequently cries in his sleep and is peaceful again a second later, but this cry was different. It was more of a squeal. I got up to find that he had turned himself sideways in his cot and wedged his head against the bars. I had a feeling that he was going to end up in weird and wonderful positions with all the space of his cot. I turned the indignant chap back around and stroked his head for a few minutes. Luckily for me he went straight back to sleep. I really hope this isn't going to be a nightly thing. If so, my night will go something like this:

02:00: Phil and I creep into bed, endeavouring not to wake Michael with our giggling.
02:05: The cats recognise that we are now upstairs and start howling and scratching at the door.
02:06: Phil squirts the cats with the water pistol to get them to desist.
02:10: Phil falls asleep and starts snoring like a lawnmower.
03:00: I finally fall asleep.
04:00: The cats decide to push their luck one more time and start howling and scratching.
05:00: Michael gets wedged in his cot.
10:00: Phil's alarm wakes me and I wake him and eventually communicate to his sleep-addled brain that he has to turn the alarm off AND get up for work.
10:01: Michael wakes up wondering what is going on.

I think I might be spending too much money on baby clothes. I have spent quite a lot this month because I wanted to get a good amount of clothes in the next few sizes in the sales. I've got clothes up to 18 months to 2 years (considering he is in size 9-12 months now, he could be wearing these clothes sooner rather than later). I went into town yesterday to get something from the housewares store and also wandered into Hema and bought Michael a pair of shoes. He outgrew his last pair and needs a pair to keep his feet warm when he is in his baby carrier. They only cost 7 euro and I was pleased with my purchase.

When Phil got home I told him what I had bought and he got a look on his face that wouldn't have been out of place on a man who was about to be offered a final cigarette and a blindfold. He tremulously asked me if the shoes were all I had purchased. On discovering that this was the case he visibly relaxed. Poor guy.

Today I have broken one of the rules that I made when I was pregnant. That rule being:

Never let Winnie the Pooh merchandise anywhere near my baby

So... No Winnie the Pooh wallpaper, lighting, bed clothes, toys or baby clothes. I'm ashamed to say that I weakened when confronted by an exceptionally cute pair of dungarees that I found in H&M. Michael is wearing them now and thrashing around in his playnest (really have no idea where he gets his energy and athleticism from - Phil and I are total couch potatoes).

No comments: